Families in Transition

Your child has the right to go to school

A guide for families in transition

Provided by St. Clair County RESA 

Services for parents of school-aged children

If you need help with enrollment, supplies or transportation for your school age child, St. Clair County Regional Educational Service Agency (RESA) can help. Tutoring is also available at designated locations. Call Laura McDowell at (810) 364-8990 for more information. 

McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Act

Under the federal McKinney-Vento Act, you are considered homeless if you are living:

  • In a shelter, motel, vehicle, or campground.
  • On the street, in abandoned buildings or trailers. 
  • Doubled-up with relatives or friends because you don't have a home or apartment of your own. 

Your child has the right to:

  • Attend school. 
  • Stay in their school even if you must move. 
  • Immediately enroll in a new school without waiting for proof of residency, immunization, school records or other papers.
  • Transportation to school, if feasible. 
  • Attend preschool programs if offered. 
  • All the school services they are entitled to receive. 
  • An advocate. 

Questions for parents to ask at school

Children can be encouraged by your interest in their day at school, their homework, and the papers they bring home. They also benefit when you take time to visit their school. Here are some questions for you to ask at your child's school:

  • Who is the contact for homeless education?
  • What transportation is available for my child so they may stay at their school?
  • If we have to change schools, can someone help us transfer records quickly?
  • Is there a preschool program?
  • Are tutoring services available for my child?
  • If my child needs special education services, how long is the wait for testing?
  • Are there special classes to benefit a talent my child has?
  • Are there sports, music, or other activities my child can be a part of?
  • Are school supplies available?

Other agencies that can help

Community Action Agency

(810) 982-8541

Community Mental Health

(810) 987-6911


Dept. of Human Services

(810) 966-2000

Downriver Community Services

Algonac (810) 794-4917
Port Huron (810) 488-8000

Mid City Nutrition Center

(810) 982-9261

Runaway Rape Line (24 hours)


St. Clair County Health Dept.

(810) 987-5300

Salvation Army

(810) 984-2679

Teen Health Center

(810) 987-1311

United Way of St. Clair County

First Call for Help Line (810) 985-7161

Toll-Free 1-800-462-6350



Local Shelters

Carolyn's Place

Port Huron, MI 48060

(810) 985-5538

Carolyn's Place serves women and children

Cypress Place Street Outreach

2019 10th Street

Port Huron, MI 48060

(810) 824-4835

Cypress Place is a drop-in center for youth.

The Harbor

929 Pine Street

Port Huron, MI 48060

(810) 982-8584

The Harbor serves runaway your ages 10-17 and their families.

Pathway Shelter Home

511 Union Street

Port Huron, MI 48060

(810) 982-1020

Pathway Shelter provides emergency shelter for families.